Returning from Dunedin today we stopped in Lawrence, South Otago. This is the former Presbyterian Church; their modern church is just down the street. The church site dates back to the gold era of the 1860s, there’s been a church building on the site since ~1864, that building later used for Sunday School. This building was completed in 1886, at a cost of £1,200. New Zealand.
Links to more information.
~note: the church was severely damaged due to fire (arson) in 1998.
Heritage New Zealand ~info on the architect Robert Arthur Lawson
flickr: PhilBee NZ (social historian) ~good overview of the story of the building
blogspot: Don Donovan’s World ~mostly about the fire
Text and photos by Liz; Exploring Colour (2022)